The BC Provincial Grant is available through LiveSmart BC:
Before any upgrades are started, a Certified Energy Advisor (CEA) working for a Service Organization that is licensed by Natural Resources Canada must conduct a pre-retrofit energy assessment on the home. To help a customer find a CEA, or to find an Advisor yourself, visit the LiveSmart BC website at: www.livesmartbc.ca/rebates
100% of the attic must be insulated to the prescribed level upon completion to be eligible for the LiveSmart incentive.
Please note the following program change from the previous LiveSmart BC offering: an attic can now be partially insulated before the retrofits begin and receive a pro-rated LiveSmart incentive, as long as 100% coverage is achieved when the retrofit is completed.
For example, if 80% of an attic has R-50 insulation before the home enters the LiveSmart program, and the remaining 20% has R-12 insulation, that remaining 20% of attic space can have R-38 added to it and be eligible for 20% of the new LiveSmart incentive for that category of upgrade. In this example, the full incentive values are $750 in the Northern/Interior region and $600 in the South Coastal region, so if the home were located in Prince George, the homeowner would receive 20% of $750, or $150.
If a house has a combination of ceiling types (i.e. 40% cathedral and 60% attic) and the homeowner insulates 100% of the cathedral ceiling (40% of the total attic space) to the insulation level noted on the grant chart, they will receive 40% of the incentive listed for this upgrade. If less that 100% of the cathedral ceiling component is insulated, the homeowner will receive the appropriate pro-rated amount for that component.
NOTE: the percentages given in the example above are calculated by adding the total area of flat ceiling with the total area of sloped ceiling and dividing each component by this total to attain the percentage of each.
Incentives for attic upgrades are based on reaching the thresholds noted in the grant chart (e.g. a homeowner must achieve R-50 in order to qualify for an incentive for attic insulation). These levels are higher than current building code requirements but must be met in order for the homeowner to receive the incentive.
Exterior Wall Insulation
These incentives are based on the percentage of the wall area insulated, and will not be pro-rated.
The percentage targets must be met or exceeded in order to receive the incentive noted. For example, if a homeowner insulates 84% of their wall, they are only eligible for the incentive for insulating 80%+ of the wall area, since the next step up is 100%.
The total percentage of walls includes all above grade walls on the main floor (i.e. first, second and third floor walls if applicable but not pony walls in the basement. Pony walls are recorded in the basement insulation category). If a homeowner insulates 100% of their main floor walls but does not insulate the second floor (which is the same size as the main floor in this example), they have only insulated 50% of the total exterior wall space and would not meet the 60% LiveSmart incentive threshold.
Basement Insulation and Other Insulation
Note that the requirements for LiveSmart incentives are often higher than building code requirements. In order to be eligible for the incentive, a homeowner must install the amount of insulation set out in the incentive brochure, even if this amount is higher than what is required by the applicable building code.
If a house has two types of foundation, such as basement and crawlspace (i.e. 40% basement and 60% crawlspace) and the homeowner insulates 100% of the crawlspace to the insulation level noted on the grant chart, they will receive 60% of the incentive listed for this upgrade.
Please note the following program change from the previous LiveSmart BC offering: an Other Insulation component can now be partially insulated before the retrofits begin and receive a pro-rated LiveSmart incentive, as long as 100% coverage is achieved when the retrofit is completed.
Exposed Floors refers to any floor that is above an unheated space, not including a crawlspace. Examples are indoor unheated garages with living space above them and bay windows which are only on one level.
Follow the link below for LiveSmartBC's brochure.